Friday, April 15, 2011

‘Indian’ Vegetable Soup

Sometimes experiments can turn out to be the most delicious dishes.

I was looking for an Indian soup (if one existed) to accompany a curry. Inspired by the Winter Vegetable & Tofu Korma soup recipe at 101 Cookbooks, I adapted the Ten Mothers Garlic Soup to create this delicious vegetable soup.

Serves 4

Times

Preparation:
10-15 minutes

Cooking:
20 minutes

Ingredients

  • 4 cups of vegetable stock
    Use a low sodium stock to reduce the sodium content.
  • 4-10 garlic cloves, crushed or grated
    (I used 5 large cloves)
  • 2cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1 small birds-eye chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/8 cup of coriander leaves
    (I think? I found some in the refrigerator and chopped it up to add to the soup.)
  • 1 small onion, sliced finely
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1-2 carrots, sliced
  • 1-2 cups brocolli florets
  • 2 small zucchini, peeled and sliced

Method

  1. Place all ingredients in a large saucepan.
  2. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Serve hot.

Tips

  • This recipe was a good way to use up old vegetables in the refrigerator. I would try potatoes, cauliflower, peas and beans.
  • Although I didn't use it, I think turmeric would go well in this soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment